If you're considering having a chili bar for a birthday, graduation, church event, or fundraiser and need to know how much to buy and prepare to feed a crowd, you'll can get an estimate of how much you'll need per person using this calculator.
A typical serving of chili as the primary main dish is one to one and half cups, or 8 to 12 ounces (oz). This amount can vary due to guests' appetites as well as the number of toppings offered.
After you enter the number of guests you'll be serving, the result will provide a breakdown of common purchased ingredients which you can use as a checklist to prepare for your event.
The calculator will give you an estimation of the ingredients and quantities you'll need to feed 10, 25, 30, 50, 100 or more guests. You can even print out the results.
If you are making rather than purchasing any of the items for your chili bar, use our Recipe Multiplier http://calculate-this.com/recipe-multiplier-calculator to convert your recipes to the ingredient quantities you'll need.
Chili Bar Basics:
- A typical chili bowl serving could be between 8-12 ounces. Our calculator uses 8 ounces as a serving in calculating how much chili and toppings to buy per person.
- Use a crock pot (or slow cooker) to serve your chili. It will keep the chili at the perfect temperature without having to continually check it.
- Don't forget to offer some hot sauce, as some guests make like their chili extra hot.
- Rather than adding onions to the chili, offer them on the side. Finicky guests and young children will thank you.
- A variety of toppings are nice, but focus first on the standard chili toppings. Guests might try a few unusual or gourmet toppings but they'll definitely load up on the tried-and-true favorites first. You'll have a lot more leftovers if you offer too much variety.
- Put sour cream in condiment bottles to make self-serve as well as clean up easier.
The calculator will provide an estimate of items needed based on standard serving sizes as a main dish. However, guests' preferences as well as appetite can vary greatly so you may have too much of one item and not enough of another. You may also need to adjust the numbers if you are serving other main dishes. Please come back and leave feedback after your event on how the Chili Bar Calculator worked for your get-together!