Throwing a party, wedding reception, fundraiser, or other event and need to know how much wine to buy? You'll get an estimate of how many bottles of wine to buy using this calculator. A 2013 Gallup poll indicated that alcoholic preferences are generally 40% beer, 36% wine, and 24% liquor. If you aren't sure how many wine drinkers are attending your event, multiply the number of guests by .36 to get an approximate idea of how much wine you should have on hand.
What type of wine should you serve? White wine used to be the favorite but a 2014 Nielsen scan data showed that red and white wines are now almost equally preferred (41% red and 36% white). The five most popular varietals are Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio, Merlot, Pinot Noir
This calculator uses the following information to determine how much wine is needed:
- A 750ml bottle of wine is equal to 25.36 ounces
- A standard pour of wine is 5 ounces
- One bottle of wine is equal to 5 glasses of wine
- Guests will generally have 2 glasses the first hour then one glass each additional hour
- White and red wine preferences are almost equal