How many pizzas should you buy for 10, 15, 20, 30, 40 or even 50 people (or more)? Considering that the average american consumes 27 pounds of pizza a year (Pizza Market Place), serving pizza is always a popular food choice. If you are planning for a party or trying to feed a large group of people, the Pizza Calculator will help you plan how many pizzas to order so that everyone is happy and will even provide topping suggestions.
Here are some things to consider when buying pizza for a large number of people (or just skip straight to the calculator at the bottom):
On average there are: 6 slices per small (8-10″) pizza, 8 slices per 12 inch pizza (medium), 10 slices on a large (14″) pizza and 12 slices on an extra-large (16-18″) pizza. You should confirm the number of slices before ordering because this will vary between pizza providers.
- According to Lido Pizza, the average slice is 63 square inches of pizza (our math averaged among all 4 sizes says 59, so it’s pretty close).
- On average, 2.5 to 3 slices (148 – 177 square inches) are needed per adult, 2 slices (118 square inches) per child, and 4 slices (236 square inches) for big eaters and teens.
- According to Dominos and Pizza Hut:
- A Small 10″ inch Pizza is normally cut into 6 slices and serves 2-3 people
- A Medium 12″ inch Pizza is normally cut into 8 slices and serves 3-4 people
- A Large 14″ inch Pizza is normally cut into 8 or 10 slices and serves 3-5 people
- An Extra Large 16″ inch Pizza is normally cut into 6 or 12 slices and serves 5-6 people
- An 18″ inch Pizza is normally cut into 6 or 12 slices and serves 6-7 people
- Virtually everyone loves cheese pizza, or will eat it if their primary favorite isn’t available. When in doubt, order one-third to one-half of your pizzas as plain cheese.
- Extra cheese is said to keep pizzas warmer longer (increases the pizza “hold” time). Order extra cheese if you need the pizzas to stay warmer just a bit longer.
- 62% of preferred pizza toppings are meat; with pepperoni comprising 38% and sausage representing 14% of the top preferred meat toppings, and Mushrooms topping at 11% of preferred vegetable toppings.
- A 14″ large pizza is the most popular size ordered.
- For children’s parties or when serving pizza as a side item, ask that your medium pizzas be cut to 10 slices instead of 8. Keep in mind that although it’s a children’s party, adults will be dropping them off and picking them up. Those same adults might also grab a slice or two.
- Specialty pizzas with a large variety/combination of toppings are best ordered if you know your guests’ preferences; otherwise they may not be as popular especially if there are picky eaters, leading to a lot of leftovers (AKA “breakfast”).
- You may need less pizza if you get thicker, specialty crusts or extra (more than 2) toppings.
This calculator goes on the assumption that pizza is the only food item being served, that the pizzas are standard crust two topping pizza, and that each hungry adult will be eating 3 slices (with adjustments for big and small eaters).