How long should you cook your turkey? How long should you thaw your turkey before cooking it? This calculator will provide a number of values for several different cooking methods and temperatures as well as thawing your turkey before cooking it.
Once you enter your turkey’s weight into the calculator, you’ll be provided with how long to bake a stuffed and unstuffed turkey, how long to deep fry or smoke a turkey, and the time it takes to thaw or defrost a turkey in the refrigerator or in a cold water bath.
The internal temperature of the completely cooked turkey including stuffing, regardless of cooking method, should always be a minimum of 165 degrees (ideally 180 degrees).
As a general rule:
- An unstuffed turkey requires approximately 17.5 minutes per pound in a 325 degree oven.
- A stuffed turkey requires approximately 20.5 minutes per pound in a 325 degree oven.
- To deep fry a turkey, allow approximately 3.25 minutes per pound in a 350 degree fryer.
- Smoking a turkey requires 30 minutes per pound with the smoker temperature maintained at 225 degrees.
- To thaw a turkey in the refrigerator, allow 5 hours per pound.
- To thaw a turkey in a cold water bath, allow 30 minutes per pound.
Visit our Ultimate Thanksgiving Dinner Calculator to calcuate how much food you’ll need for your guests.